Ballyferriter is a small village lying at the foot of Croaghmarhin mountain.
Ballyferriter is part of the Gaeltacht and each summer students travel here
to learn the Irish language. North-West of the village lies the remains of
Ferriter's Castle, home of one of the last chieftains to withstand Cromwell's
armies. To the North lies Smerwick Harbour and the Dun an Oir fort (Golden
Fort). In 1580 the famous massacre of Spanish, Italian and Irish soldiers
by Lord Gray's troops took place at Smerick Harbour. Nearby is Reesk, an
excavated site which features life of long ago. Gallarus Oratory is a well
preserved church building which is situated close to Smerick Harbour.